The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12-digit number allotted by EPFO (Employee Provident Fund Organization) in order to facilitate online services to the employees. If an employee switches from one job to another, a unique ID is created which will be linked to the UAN, facilitating mobility. One can easily access services related to his PF account through the internet such as balance enquiry, loan processing and so on independently.
Some documents are mandatory to access UAN and the prime requirement is to know your UAN number. You can conveniently obtain your number either from your employer or by using the PF number in the UAN portal.
How to find UAN
- Click on the link which will direct you to the UAN portal: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on the “Know your UAN tab”.
- Enter all the information on the appearing page. Your PF number/member ID will be given in your salary slip. Give all your personal details and enter the captcha code.
- After entering the PIN which was received on your mobile, click on validate OTP and get the UAN tab.
- Your UAN number will be messaged to your mobile. This number should be used for the further procedure of activation of UAN.UAN
Documents required for UAN activation
- Information regarding bank account: Account number, IFSC code, and branch name of the bank.
- ID proof: Voter ID, Aadhaar card, driving license, passport, and SSLC can be accepted.
- Address proof: ration card, lease contract, detailed invoice of gas/electricity/water can be accepted. Any ID proof which contains information about your residence can be accepted.
- PAN card and Aadhar card: These are necessary to be linked to UAN.
- ESIC card details.
Steps for activating UAN
- Click on the link given below. https://epfindia.gov.in/site_en/
Click on “For Employees” which is provided under the “Our Services” panel.
- You can find ‘Member UAN/Online services’ in the services section. This will lead you to the UAN portal.
- Fill up all the sufficient information in the form appearing on the right side of the page. You will receive a PIN on the given mobile number.
- Click on “I Agree” and enter the OTP you received before. Click on “Validate OTP and Activate UAN”.
- You will be given a password on the registered mobile number which can be used further to access your account online.
After the implementation of UAN, the dependance of employees on employers as well as the companies to reap the benefits such as loans can be reduced significantly. In addition to this, if the employee needs the PF statement for any purpose, he/she can download it directly online through the activation of the account. Moreover, the employee can ensure the deposits made to his account. Whenever the employee shifts to another job, the previous balance can be transferred quickly. The withdrawal of money is very convenient online and thus in case of any emergencies, the procedure to be followed will be minimum.
While considering the side of EPFO, the convenience of the organization is also inclining as it becomes easy to keep a track on the different job positions shifted by an employee. The UAN helps to incorporate employee data in the country. After bringing up the facility of UAN, inappropriate withdrawals have reduced gradually.
To sum up, the introduction and implementation of UAN have created a positive impact in dealing with the PF of employees by reducing the burden of employers as well as the employees.