Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India. It was to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses through special kendras known as Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendra. Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendra (PMBJPK) have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India has been established for co-coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendra.
Objectives of the scheme
The main objective of the schemes is making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets “Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras”, so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
To bring down the healthcare budget of every citizen of India through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices
- Create awareness among public regarding generic medicines
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness program that high price need not be synonymous with high quality
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme
Jan Aushadhi Store
JAS has been opened across the country. The main objective of this scheme is to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses through special kendras known as Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendra. Important features of the schemes are:
- The normal working hours of Jan Aushadhi Store are 8 Am to 8 PM.
- All medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI are made available from Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual without a prescription.
- A prescription from a registered medical practitioner is necessary for the purchase of scheduled drugs.
- The quality, safety and efficacy of medicines are ensured by getting each batch of medicines procured from CPSUs as well as private suppliers tested from NABL approved laboratories and conforming to the required standards before the same are supplied to Supers stockists /Jan Aushadhi Stores from the Warehouse of BPPI.
How to locate a near by Janaushadi Kendra:
By using Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile APP a citizens can esily locate nearby Janaushadhi kendra. It also help to search Janaushadhi generic medicines, analyze product comparison of Generic and Branded medicine in form of MRP & overall Savings, etc. Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is available on both Android & I-phone platforms.
How to open a Jan Aushadhi store?
The state government, the Ministry of Health would make recommendations in favor of the operating agency that would manage the stores and also task the district hospital authority to provide the minimum space in accordance with the standards approved by the BPPI on the premises of the hospital. The location of the store should be in a location easily accessible to patients with DPO, preferably at the entrance to the hospital and given to the agency free of charge. The state government should give appropriate instructions to hospitals / doctors for prescribing generic drugs.
Other entities may approach BPPI either on the basis of the advertisement published by BPPI or on the basis of suo moto with a complete application accompanied by the supporting documents mentioned in the satisfaction of the requirements specified above. An agreement must be reached between BPPI and the operator before the JAS begins to operate and BPPI makes arrangements for the dispatch of the drugs.