High Risk -High Reward Research scheme is implemented by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) under Department of Science & Technology. The scheme aims in supporting and inviting new proposals and ideas expected to have a paradigm shifting influence on the Science and Technology in forms of formulating new hypothesis, or scientific breakthroughs which aid in emergence of new technologies. The proposals can be submitted by an individual or by a team of investigators.
- Any Indian citizen residing in India.
- Must hold a regular academic or research position in a recognized institution.
- Proposals which was submitted by a team of investigators must identify a Principal Investigator.
Nature of Proposals to be Supported
- Proposal must contain significant risk elements but promise of high reward if the difficulties could be circumvented.
- The success of these proposals is expected to have far-reaching implications for science and technology.
- The results could be new and significant theoretical or experimental advances, the formulation of new hypotheses or scientific breakthroughs that will lead to new technologies. Proposals that address scientific issues which will result in “incremental” knowledge will not be supported.
- The proposal should contain bold research ideas that will have far-reaching impact and potential for new scientific and technological innovations.
Nature & Duration of Support
- The funding is provided normally for a period of three years. In exceptional cases, After the assessment of the expert committee, the duration can be up to 5 years.
- There is no budget limit for this type of projects.
- The research grant covers equipment, consumables, contingency and travel apart from overhead grants.